My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Thursday, June 23, 2011

tour of the place April 1, 2009

A little tour of around the place
gardenmarch09-0041
this is my Rex buck, Stanley [no I didn't name him that, my 7 yr old grand daughter did. Where she got the name from I have no idea].
gardenmarch09-023The tomatoe forest. Since I hadn’t gardened in a few years most of my seeds are pretty old. So I planted extra. I ended up with over 70 tomatoe plants of eight varieties. Since I don’t really need a dozen Yellow Pear tomatoe plants I will probably give some of them away. Here they are in 1 gallon pots on my back patio.
gardenmarch09-016
Here’s a peek into the greenhouse. This is built onto the south side of my house and when completed will help warm up two bedrooms and the bathroom during the day. It is only about 7 feet wide. Right now it is about 16 feet long. As soon as the humongous tree stump is out of the way, I’ll be able to extend it the length of the house, nearly 30 feet.
gardenmarch09-009
Here is that stubborn old tree stump. I had the tree cut down about 15 years ago because it was hollow. Another tree in the same row narrowly missed my brand new roof when it broke in a storm, so they all came out. However, the stump is still alive and sending up shoots and spreading it’s roots. I’ve been diggin and cutting on this thing off and on since last fall. I’m hoping just a couple more days work will get it out of the way so I can finish up the greenhouse. Of course I have a crazy life, so no guarantee when I’ll get that much free time!
gardenmarch09-011
Here are some of the pease. The row on the left are Sugar Snaps, these were planted last September. In the raised bed on the left are Maxi Golt, just beginning to bloom, they were planted in December.

No comments:

Post a Comment