My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Make your compost do double duty April 20, 2009

Make your compost do double duty

Now I know a lot of folks have cold compost piles, that is basically just a pile of yard waste slowly rotting in the corner some where. But if you make hot compost piles then make it work over time for you. My recent piles have run about 150 degrees. When they cool off a little I dump some dirt on them and plant in them! If it’s still cold at night I put an old window over the plants to help keep them warmer.
gardenapril09-022Watermelons seed planted March 1st. Have survived quite a few nights with 32 degrees and have several leaves on them. This compost pile was about 100 degrees when the seeds were planted.
gardenapril09-0201These are baby blue hubbard squash, started in 2″ soil blocks. The compost pile is about 140 down in the middle of the pile. [edit May 2, 2009, this pile is now up to 165 degrees and has been for over a week]

No comments:

Post a Comment