My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Friday, June 24, 2011

Seedlings!

Sunflower Seedlings, June 2011
Well the other day I planted some seedlings in soil blocks [special soil mix compressed into a block by a special gizmo, very fun, grows great seedlings and no plastic pots everywhere].

Some decorative sunflowers, and a couple of luffa's in one batch. (you just can't see the luffa's in this pic, they're way in the back.
 










Snapdragon Seedlings


In the other tray I planted snapdragons. I dearly love these flowers, especially the old fashioned heavily scented sorts. Unfortunately the really grand tall ones tend to get broken over in the wind just at the height of their bloom. Yes,  you can stake them to help keep them up; do I remember? Of course not. So this batch is a dwarf kind, just as pretty but lower growing.





























Hopi Purple Pod Bean seedlings


Then of course there are the beans out in the garden, you can see the planting of them in the June 19th post. and here they are today, sprouting up.

This is an Heirloom Native American variety called Hopi Purple Pod. I've had them probably about 20 years and don't recall now exactly where I got them from. I 'think' from Native Seed Search, but I didn't see them listed the last time I checked their catalog. They are a good size pole bean, with lovely purple pods. They can be eaten as string beans, fresh shellies or as dried beans and are delicious what ever way you eat them.





   Of course I didn't find any Hopi Purple Pods for sale for you, but I did find these great certified organic pole bean seeds for you to try out. The flat Italian ones are nice and beany and then of course there is that old standby, Kentucky Wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment