My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Things are coming along April 28, 2009

Things are coming along

Well things are coming along around here. Here is a pink oriental poppy.
gardenapril09-0011
gardenapril09-006Here are the golden yellow California poppies, there is usually a little patch out front and a few here and there around the yard.
gardenapril09-0071Where did all those tomatoes go? Well, I gave some away some are in containers and others have been planted out into the garden.
gardenapril09-0092
gardenapril09-010
The next picture shows 6 tomato plants in large cage made of concrete reinforcing wire. In the center is buried a large olla, an unglazed clay pot. By filling the pot with water, it gradually seeps into the soil around it.
gardenapril09-017Next to that group is another batch of tomatoes. I did not have another olla handy so this one just has a depression in the middle to water into.
gardenapril09-0181
gardenapril09-012More baby ‘maters. These are the Princepe Borghese, an heirloom Italian drying tomato.
gardenapril09-008A yummy cauliflower.
gardenapril09-0112wow, look how big the potatoe plants have gotten!
gardenapril09-014They aren’t amber yet, but here’s my ‘waves of grain’. This is winter wheat heading out.
gardenapril09-016Here’s a little baby apple. this tree was mislabeled in the nursery so I’m not sure what it is. I just know it’s _not_ the Granny Smith I though it was.
gardenapril09-019More purple peas. These however are the Sweet Magnolia, a purple sugar snap pea from Peace Seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment