My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Thursday, June 23, 2011

New Chickies October 3, 2009

New Chickies

Well last weekend I made an all day trip to a breeder’s and picked up 14 Buff Orpington chicks. They were from one to a few days old. I have been looking for someone in state that had Buffs. They are a Heritage breed. I had decided to raise and breed one of the Heritage breeds to keep them alive. While Buffs are not currently endangered, they very much suit my purpose. They are good brown egg layers and also grow fairly quickly for meat. Out of these 14 chicks I will probably keep 4-6 hens and 1 rooster. The rest will go in the freezer. Then next summer when they are laying well I’ll begin to hatch out batches of chicks to supply the table and perhaps sell a few.
gardenoctt09 002Here they are enjoying some fresh air & sunshine. The rest of the time they are staying in a box in the living room. Little chicks have to stay warm until they get all their feathers. If their momma hatches them out she will take care of them, otherwise it’s up to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment