My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Sunday, November 24, 2019

Chicken Sunday 11/24/19


Almost all of today was about chickens. I spent most of the morning scrubbing waterers with the new brush I got on clearance. It’s actually labeled as a grill brush with long stiff but flexible plastic bristles. It worked very well getting into all the nooks and crannies. 

I raked and stirred up the litter in the coops. Some spots are still very wet. 

I did spend some time spraying bacterial and fungal inoculants with trace minerals on garden beds. In this one whatever ate the kale is now eating the tops off the garlic. Well, I guess at least I don’t have vampire squirrels. 


 I spent some afternoon time visiting a friend that broke her knee. She’s at a local nursing home until she’s able to get up and at least go to the bathroom by herself. She seems to be doing pretty well. Then I stopped and picked up feed and bedding. 


I came home and got part of it unloaded and some of the bedding put down in the wettest coops. (An exercise in futility actually since we are predicted to have rain all week with a possibility of snow on Friday).  On the plus side another girl has joined The New Layers Club. 


Chicken in the crockpot   If I’d have left it a little longer it would have browned on top but I was starving. 

The carrots and potatoes were from the store but the chicken, arugula and tomatoes were homegrown. 



No comments:

Post a Comment