My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Sunday, November 10, 2019

(Temporary Backup) The Days Work 11/10/19



I have some cement I need to use up and I want to pour it along the back of the big chicken house where rodents are digging in. So it started with clearing brush. 

That’s a lot better. 


That is a really big hole on the creek bank. Wondering if it’s from a skunk or a raccoon. Fairly fresh tracks around it but the ground is too dry to tell what they are. 


I found a love rock a few minutes after seeing the message I have a new nephew, named after his grandfather. 


On to cement work. 6 parts creek sand to 2 parts cement. 


Dry mix. 

Wet mix. I have no idea where that goblin reflection came from. 


Haul in buckets and pour. 


Clean up. Time for breakfast and chores. 


The fall chicks are getting big. 

The speckled Sussex are smaller than the production girls but really pretty. 


The White Marseilles fig had a lone fruit which froze the other night. I hope that means it will have lots next summer. 

Sigh. The work is never ending. I’ll have to get the ladder and pull that tarp back into place. But not today. No rain anytime soon and I kinked my neck cutting brush. 


While watering I found a nice pile of red worms which I collected to add to my worm tub. I tried to shred some stuff up but managed to clog it up and quit. The blades need sharpened really bad. I have a co-worker that has a sharpener. I’ll ask him if he can sharpen them for me. 


I swept a cleanish spot on the patio to set the smoker. Then had to sweep off the rust and cobwebs that have been accumulating for the past 4 years. 


Plugged it in. It still works, happy dance. 


Off to pick a little sage. 


Which I stuffed inside this little duck. I think it’s the last one in the freezer from a couple of years ago. I scored the skin to release the fat which I will catch in the pan under the rack. Popped it into the smoker with some applewood chips   And turned it over every 30 minutes. 

In the meantime a weird little cloud came over, but no sign of rain. 


Starting an experiment of soaking scratch grain before feeding to the chickens.  Supposed to take less feed because soaking / partly sprouting increases nutrient availability. 


Duck is not quite done through so I’ll finish it tomorrow. In the meantime some medicinal alcohol, a hot shower and off to sleep on the heating pad. Hopefully my neck will be better in the morning. 






No comments:

Post a Comment