My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Just a Tuesday 11/5/19


This garden bed has had serious issues.  Some sand, a lot of rock and gravel, major nematode infestation. It’s been mostly fallow this past year. Because it doesn’t hold water well I’m applying a trick I used in TX when I gardened on pure sand. 


I’m digging trenches across the bed and burying my butchering waste in them. You can use any organic matter here, food waste, compost, weeds, anything that will break down, feed the soil and hold water. 


I found a lot of grubs to feed the chickens. 


I’ll mark where I left off and continue after the next processing day.  I may also use other materials and see what differences I see in the plants later. 


The new pile is back up to almost 150° but it’s not stinking any more so I’ll leave it until tomorrow. 


I spread some fresh compost on a small bed in the back garden and planted some mesclun mix. And then I did chores and went to work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment