My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Saturday, November 2, 2019

Just a Saturday 11/2/19


Tink seems to be making peace with the kittens finally, tho Loki is a brat a lot of the time. 

The new compost pile was over 140° and getting stinky again, so another turn and some more straw. Composting is as much an art as a science. 

I finally got the chicken plucker wrestled around to the patio.  The wheels are not made for rocky roads. 


I went to hook it up to the water for a test run and discovered this.  So had to replace the hose end. Plucker runs, it does spit out a lot of water. Would be nice to figure out a way to direct the water to a garden. But for now the important part is to get some cockerels off the feed bill and into the freezer. 


  I started clearing out the compost pile the squash was on. 

This bed is having issues. There may be some freeze damage on the mustard but the Red Russian kale is covered in aphids. I sprayed everything with kelp for trace minerals and put down some more compost.  If the kale continues to have major aphid problems I’ll rip it out and plant something else. 


Then I got these two beds covered with row cover before it was time to do chores. It’s going to be a little warmer the next few days but now they are ready for the colder nights coming. That just leaves 3 beds of spinach to cover. 




No comments:

Post a Comment