My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Saturday, November 16, 2019

Saturday 11/16/19


I’m building a new compost pile and collected a bucket of leaves and soil from under some scrub oaks. I try to add a bucketful to each compost pile to add more bacteria and fungi. 


Saving tomato seeds. 


Squeeze or scoop the seeds and gel into a jar. Add a small amount of water and just set a lid on it but not tightened down. Put in a warmish place to ferment a few days. When the pulp has disintegrated but before it gets moldy fill the jar with water and stir. Let it settle then pour off the water with any floaters. Seeds that float are no good. Strain through a fine mesh and rinse well. Spread out to dry then store. Do the same for squash and pumpkins. The fermentation kills seed borne diseases. 


Pepper seeds aren’t in a gel so just spread them out on a paper towel until dry enough to store. 


It was a cool cloudy day so I worked on taking this old shed apart. 


Some bolts were stripped and impossible to remove. When all else fails get the sawzall. 


But in other places my arms were too short and I only have 2 hands. I think it took 3 of us to put this thing together. 


I finally did get 1 piece of tin off the top. By then I was tired and my hands were sore. Time to do chores anyway. 


Giotto on afternoon guard. Poor guy up all night barking off owls, coyotes and pigs. 


And day is done. Time for food and bed. I have no idea why this picture is upside down. I didn’t take it that way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment