My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Thursday, November 7, 2019

Throw Back Thursday



November 30, 2017 I still had productive zucchini plants. That was a very warm fall. And before the root knot nematodes really set in.  


Back to today. Ducky warming her toes on the compost pile which is back up to 150°. 

I cut down the sun roots and spread some mulch. 

I spread compost down the center of this area. I want to plant some peas in here. There was a row of tomatoes here all of which died except the brand wine in the center of the row. 


All the others had root knot nematodes. I found a few sun roots in the row and dug them out. ( no pic tho)

Why I really don’t like soaker hoses or drip systems. This soaker ran over night. 3 inches away the soil is dry as a bone. Plant roots cannot grow in dry soil. So their root systems are confined to the wet spot. Not nearly as big an area for root growth as most plants need. 


In another bed the Red Russian kale is still covered in aphids, along with the green wave mustard next to it. 


The girls enjoyed it. I’ll plant something else in that area instead. 


What a pathetic egg collection today. 





No comments:

Post a Comment