My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Monday, December 9, 2019

Monday 12/9/19


I worked half a day today.  It rain all night and this morning, clearing out after lunch. I spent the afternoon sorting through the Black Copper Marans cockerels. This guy is a cull. He has a comb sprig (a part of the comb growing sideways) which is a disqualification. 


This one is a cull because his pelvis is too narrow (meaning his daughters won’t be good layers) and he is tending toward “vulture hocks” (long hard feathers at the hock joint instead of just fluff)  another disqualification. 


This guy is a maybe. I don’t like that long tail feather and he may have a roach back (where the back jumps up instead of being flat), another disqualification. I’ll let him grow a little longer and check again. 


Another maybe to grow a little longer. 

#100daysofappreciation   Today I appreciate my chickens. They give me eggs and meat and terrific compost for the garden. Because of them I have people from all over the country, both online and in person. I’ve always been interested in genetics and chicken breeding gives me a chance to test out theories and make interesting combinations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment