My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Saturday, December 21, 2019

Solstice Saturday 12/21/19


Today is the shortest day of the year. Beginning tomorrow each day will be about a minute or so longer until the longest day, the summer Solstice around June 21. 


I spent the early morning turning compost. I’m pleased to find some worms coming into the oldest pile. 


I also turned and fluffed the bedding in some of the chicken houses.  It’s due to rain again soon and I need all that bedding to be as dry as possible so it can soak up moisture again. 


Then I filled 48 2 gallon pots with compost. 


I planted 150 daffodils in them and a few tulips. I have a few more tulip bulbs to plant. They should have already gone in the ground but I couldn’t get to it. And where I was going to plant them in the ground, well Giotto decided it was a great spot to dig a big hole to lay in. I don’t have time right now to fix that so this was the best solution. 


I made a run for feed but most of those bags are loose hay I raked up from the hay barn at the feed store. 


The chickens totally love scratching through it and eating it. A lot of it is alfalfa leaf which is a high protein feed for them. 

#100daysofappreciation

Today I’m appreciating the warm sunshine and the relaxing rhythm of work around the place. 


No comments:

Post a Comment