My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Wednesday, August 15, 2018

8/15/18. Wednesday



There is a low spot in this pen so when it rains it's deep squishy mud. I dumped some creek sand in there and a couple buckets of sawdust based compost. Hopefully it will stay a little drier. 


I finished clearing out the patch of dead tomatoes in this garden and planted a thick cover of Giant Red Mustard. Root knot nematodes don't like mustard greens. I cleared another patch of dead tomatoes out in another area. I couldn't tell on most of the plants if they had nematodes or not but the last plant I pulled certainly did. I dumped several inches of compost on top with some blood meal for extra nitrogen. I'm going to try some Mizuna mustard there, it's not as strong as Giant Red so I don't know how it will work out. When I was done with that I worked on the wind break some more. 


A dahlia is finally blooming. All the earlier flowers were eaten by Japanese beetles. 




I can't get the right color of theses red zinnias. They are a deep dark almost blood red in real life. 
And most of the day was the usual stuff, feeding and watering birds, finished cleaning out a pen, now to move some more babies around tomorrow, fooling with tarps the wind tore loose, a little housekeeping and now time for bed. Good night world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment