My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Sunday, August 26, 2018

8/25-26/18 Sat & Sun




Had a good day at market. My daughter brought up a lot of baked goods. 


The van had a flat so I had to switch to the truck Sat morning for Market so I didn't have time to pick any flowers or herbs. And when I went to change the tire later one of the nuts seems to be cross threaded and I can't get it loose. Besides that looks like the back tires are bald so probably going to have to get new ones. #alwaysonemorething


Think I better trim up the fence line


Better I think. 

Over here too. 


Getting there. I feed the red root pigweed, an amaranth, to the chickens.  That's the tall dark green ones on the right. The grey green ones with purple flowers are horse nettle. Full of invisible stickers and poisonous. In the Solanacea family, related to potatoes and tomatoes. 


Boy this garden space is not doing good at all. I really don't think the rampant Morning glories are to blame, either. 






Nope. Root knot nematodes are the culprits. See all those knots or galls on the roots?  That's caused by the microscopic nematodes piercing the roots to suck the juice out. The plants wilt a lot in the heat because they can't get enough water with their damaged root systems.   So a snap decision. I need more space for some young cockerels any way. I will take down the trellises and put up some sturdy chainlink panels and use this for a chicken space for awhile. That way I can concentrate on getting rid of the nematodes in other areas and then work on this space later. 

Part way done. I got most of the posts and trellis wire out in the evening but the phone battery was dead. Will have to get a pic in the morning. And now it's past bedtime. Good night world 


No comments:

Post a Comment