My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Thursday, August 23, 2018

8/23/18 Thursday


I love the datura. Yes it's highly narcotic to the point of being poisonous and if you have stupid animals that will eat it or small children you might not want it around. I leave mine grow unless they are really in the way. Man friend thought I should "pull all those weeds out". I explained I like the big white flowers. I love how the plants grow into big bushes that help shade the soil and protect it from hard winds and rain. Many different kinds of insects come to feed on the flowers. I don't have to feed or water it and they come back year after year bigger and better than ever. When the chickens are out they will sometimes take a bite or two of the leaves but no more. It doesn't seem to hurt them any.  Man friend doesn't get it. Sigh. 


The only 6' high gates wider than 38" I could find were these adjustable size ones you have to put together. 


They are a lighter weight material than I would have liked.  Fixing stuff like this made it take longer than it should have. 




These 2 pics are of the same seedling of Golden Globe turnip. They seem to be having an iron or nitrogen deficiency issue so I poured some fish and seaweed liquid on them. The top pic is before and bottom one a few minutes later. They will probably need a couple of more feedings before they will stay a deep dark green. 


This rusted old scooter is getting a coat of paint. Then I'm going to put it on the fence as yard art. 


I cleaned up the driveway so I could back the truck up to dump off the bales of peatmoss I bought the other day. While moving pots this guy startled me. Might be the biggest scorpion I've ever seen.  I'm not sure which species it is but I know it's not a bark scorpion because they have very thin tails and this ones tail is really fat. I would guess it was close to 4" long sitting like this. 


Egg count today was quite dismal   Usually have 3Xs this many. Usual chores done. Went to see mom. She was a little cranky and out of sorts. It *almost* rained this evening. Time for bed. Good night world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment