My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Monday, July 16, 2018

7/16/18 Steamy Monday


Back on fence today. Got one post done then the sun came out. It's not that hot but it's very humid. 10:30 and I'm on my 4th bottle of water already. Sweat running in my eyes and just dripping off my nose and chin. Whew. Don't know how much stuff I'll get done today. (Edit. At 11:30 it was 93, so hotter than I thought)



All the chicks are getting big. There are 7 groups altogether with most of the chicks in each group being only about 10 days apart. I try to give everybody some greens every day but with it being so dry this year it's been hard to do. 


Planting out beets and collecting rocks. Maybe I should start weighing and adding them to my harvest record. 



I watered the beets in and payed some screens over them to keep the birds and cats out. Thought I took a picture but can't find it- I found a few potatoes while working this bed. 
I also planted a couple of trays of kale: Nero de Toscano. A kind of dinosaur kale. I think it has the best taste of several varieties. Went to moms for lunch and ended up taking my sis to the ER with chest and back pain. Her blood pressure was sky high but probably not a heart issue. They are keeping her overnight for observation as she may have pancreatitis.  So not much got done this afternoon beyond regular chores. 



Meet butthead. AKA Mr. A-hole. He's in the time out box because he jumps me every time I go in that pen. I have done all my tricks, carry him around, hang upside down, pin him to the ground on his back. Nothing works. I was trying to hold out until fall because I didn't get any chicks from his brother (who is very polite and well behaved). But I don't know if I can put up with his crap that long. Any way at some point he will be mean rooster soup!



Our local hospital has some great art and photography in the halls. 




This flower wa outside the hospital. I'll have to look it up. Very pretty. 

Well dogs are fed. I'm fed. Off to bed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment