My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Sunday, July 8, 2018

Sunday Sunday



Last night I moved chicks from the indoor brooders att moms to my house. This morning I cleaned out the brooders. This is the last batch of chicks for now. That little Buff Orpington in the back is older but has a bad leg that is not improving so I will probably have to cull it. I'll check with a friend to see if they want it for snake food. 



Some kind of wild sunflower sort of plant. Been around the place ever since I was a kid. I think they came in some kind of wildflower mix my mom bought. I'm not fond of them as they make me sneeze but I always leave some where they aren't in the way because the bees and butterflies need them. 



Late June through July are the hardest time of the year. A few hours without water and the plants are dead or nearly so. Chickens die from the heat, especially if they already have some other issue. Things are looking pretty sad around here even when I spend most of the day watering. 




#justonemorething always something else needs doing. This big tarp needs replaced before the rains really get started. 


It was cloudy this morning so I transplanted some basil and parsley into a bed. It's supposed to rain tonight but I soaked them down pretty good. Hope they make it. 

Took a nap and did regular chores. Made a run to the store for a few things. Delivered some veggies. Not much else. Just too darn hot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment