My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Tuesday, July 17, 2018

7/17/18 Tuesday


The native and domestic bees are enjoying the fresh pumpkin flowers. 



Working on fence before the sun comes over the hill. 12 inches down the ground is as dry and hard as ever. Just as I was going to set and pound the post hit a big rock. Poured in a gallon of water to help soften things up. Will try again tomorrow. 



I need to put some steps in right on the other side of this brush so got out pruners and cut it back. 



Lemon balm in front, pineapple mint behind. I like to make ice tea with all my herbs and lemon balm is supposed to be good for shingles. So today's tea flavor is lemon balm, pineapple mint, spearmint and a little lavender hyssop. They say hyssop tastes like licorice but it reminds me of old fashioned root beer. 




I cut the herbs into a stainless steel colander and set that inside a big stainless steel bowl. I put a little sugar and 3 regular tea bags in the tea jar and just enough boiling water in to dissolve the sugar. Pour enough boiling water over the herbs to cover. Let set until cool. Drain the herbs and pour into the tea jug and fill with cold water. 



Well that's amazing. This morning this duck couldn't stand and walk. I expected her to be dead or need to be put down this afternoon but there she is up walking around. On a sadder note one of the little Nankin hens has been missing since yesterday. No trace of her anywhere. 



This patch of zinnias has really taken off in the past two weeks.  



Wow baby spaghetti squash already. 



Unlike some of the other chicks this little cutie hops out for me to pick him up whenever I open the door. Well not a whole lot accomplished today with a visit to mom and several visits to check on my sister. She probably just has pancreatitis but that is pretty painful and means nothing by mouth. Not even ice chips. 

No comments:

Post a Comment