My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Monday, July 9, 2018

Monday Morning Blues


Trying to take down the old tarp and set a new one. Not easy by myself. These are 10 x 30 billboard tarps. No grommets just a pocket sewn on the edges. I put old garden hose through the pocket and screw through the hose to fasten one end to the big chicken house. Then I use clamps to fasten it to the kennels. I just don't have the strength in my hands that I used to do it's harder to run the drill.



Took me an hour to get this far. I couldn't get the screws all the way into the wood so called a man friend, I just didn't have the strength or energy to get it finished. Man friend does not get my lifestyle.
Man: you don't have to do all this you know.
Me: yes I do (I was watering plants after we finished with the tarp)
Man: No you don't (sounds a wee bit aggravated)
Me: Yes I do; everything would die!
Man: well plow it all under!

Ugh. No wonder I've been single almost 20 years now.

On the way to get lunch I got the mail. New seed order from Baker's Creek came in. Lots of new goodies for this fall, new radishes, broccoli, cauliflower, turnips and more. Can't wait for the weather to cool off!

After lunch a quick visit with mom then back to chores. Water, pick up eggs, put out grit and oystershell. All birds need grit, little hard rocks, becaue they don't have teeth. The grit collects in their gizzard and grinds up their food. All laying hens need a source of calcium, either eggshells (which they get) or oytershell.

On the way home from visiting mom I stopped at Ace Hardware for a new rain guage and also picked up this pretty geranium.

The sunflowers are really shooting up there. I swear they've grown a foot this week.

Promises promises. No rain last night. No rain today. Maybe tomorrow. Had a pic come up on my facebook feed from 2011 that on this day it had been raining for 2 hours. Sure wish that had been today. The clouds did help cool things down a bit.

I managed a nap this afternoon so had a little energy and made some pickled eggs. Behold the BEST jar lifter ever invented! I'm hold up a full pint jar with ONE finger. I bought this baby in the 70s and can't find any like it these days. I'd like to get one for my daughter. So much easier than the ones they sell now that require you to grip and squeeze to hold onto the jar. Any body know where I can get one?

and now it's late and I'm headed for bed with the lovely sound of sealing jar lids ringing in the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment