My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Wednesday, July 4, 2018

7/4/18 May the Fourth Be With You


May the Fourth Be with You. (Sorry, couldn't help myself). Well clouds are moving in but no rain in the forecast until Monday. Of course in monsoon season the forecast doesn't mean much anyway. 



Finally got the pavers leveled up. 



Put the basic framework together and carried it up to the pen. 



These kinds of things would go a lot easier with another set of hands. 



After a useless trip to the lumber yard to buy gate materials because I forgot it was the 4th, I stopped at mom's and picked up some odds and ends. This peice of hardware cloth was almost the perfect size. Those are used canning jar lids for washers. I have a peice of plywood to trim and paint for the bottom half. I'll pick up gate materials tomorrow. 


 I planted a row of sunflower seeds down the middle of this bed, with a row of red okra on each side. The okra were small transplants. In the past week the sunflowers have really taken off and passed up the okra. On the outer edges I planted some radishes and put in a couple of pumpkin vines. I tried to get some sweet potatoes to take but it was just too hot and dry. I might try again now that the rain is coming. 

A lot of the usual watering, feeding and picking up eggs today. Squeezed in a visit to mom this afternoon. Her dementia is getting pretty bad. Some days I'm her daughter, other days her sister. She doesn't really know where she is and needs someone around all the time. 

A local mining company puts on a great fireworks display for the community. But it does create a big traffic jam so I did chores a little early. We can watch the fireworks from moms and I'll be keeping an eye on the dogs. They are afraid of thunder and other really loud noises. 

So happy Fourth and good night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment