My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Thursday, July 5, 2018

7/5/18 My Crazy Life


At 6:00 last night it was still 101°F. I did chores early to beat the traffic of folks finding places to park for our local fireworks. Still it was almost 9:00 before I was eating dinner and the fireworks started before I'd had more than a few bites. I went out to check on Edda since I'd been told she was afraid of loud noises. She was going crazy trying to climb the fence so I brought her in the house. Even with me petting her she was terrified, shaking, panting and drooling. When it was over she was still too scared to go back outside so I took her to the bedroom where Giotto was hiding. He doesn't like big bangs either but he just hides in the corner.  Edda laid on the floor panting like crazy when I went to bed. This morning I found her happy as a clam in the middle of the spare bed. She was fine going back outside. 


So yes there's a chicken in the bathtub. Well I guess now it's taken over the bathroom. This baby's back was bloody from the others picking at its new feathers. It was almost dark so I just left it in the bathtub overnight. I went in to find it checking out the bird in the mirror this morning. As soon as I find my bluekote it can go back outside. (Had to buy a new bottle but sprayed its back and put it in with a slightly younger group of chicks so it doesn't get picked on again)

As if one house chicken wasn't enough I have 2.  This one couldn't stand and was getting picked on so it's in the front room getting vitamin water every little while. There are a dozen or more possible issues from coccidiosis to scorpion sting to vitamin deficiency to Mareks disease. Some things can only be diagnosed after death. So I do the best I can with supportive care and let it go.  (When I checked in the evening this baby was up walking around. A little unsteady and weak but up moving. So it's spending the night in the bathtub😀)



I did get some more Black Copper Marans chicks hatched. Last hatch for now. I'll try to hatch a few more in the fall. 


Spaghetti squash is beginning to bloom. 



By 10:00 it was too hot to work so just set up water hoses. Made another useless trip to the lumbar yard. They are out of what I need. I think I have another squirrel around.  I cut off that part of the tomato and ate the good part. It was delicious. Now if they would just make a lot more of them. 



By noon it's 104. A nice big bank of clouds is rolling in but I don't think there will be rain today. 



Back to mom's for lunch then out to water birds and spray down pens. The big tin barn gets super hot in the sun in the afternoon. Fill up the wading pools for dogs and ducks. Giotto likes to hang out under the big elderberry tree. 



Moms little dog Suzy hunts for mice.  The chickens don't mind, they scarf up any pinkies she turns up. 



Off to see mom. Big clouds rolling in.  



And some actual rain. Pouring heavy in Globe it just sprinkled at my place. 



When you have a farm or a homestead there are sad days. Apparently the wind that came with the rain ripped the tarp and whipped it around, knocking over the waterer and the nest boxes and killing a hen. 



Hello Giotto. Yes it's time for dinner. 



Good night ducks. I was going to do some kitchen stuff this evening but I'm just too tired.  Good night world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment